- A resource to assist small and rural charities in improving voluntary compliance with the Canada Revenue Agency’s (CRA) requirements
- A system to help organize and archive an organization’s important information
- A source of information and a tool to educate members of boards
Welcome to Office in a Box online!
What is Office in a Box?
How can you get Office in a Box?
- Download a copy for free and create your own
- Choose your province:
NOTE: Office in a box has not been updated to reflect the new Canada Not-for-Profit legislation.
The information contained in Office in a Box is provided for general information purposes only and is not meant as legal or other professional advice. If you require specific legal advice on any issue please consult a lawyer.
The information contained in Office in a Box was correct at the time it was posted. Be aware that it is possible there may have been subsequent changes, which make the information outdated at the time you are accessing it.
Links to third parties' websites are provided in Office in a Box. These sites are not under the authority of the Legal Resource Centre. The information contained in linked websites is not guaranteed as to accuracy or timeliness by the Legal Resource Centre and is provided for convenience only.
Some information on the Legal Resource Centre's websites may have been provided by outside sources. The Legal Resource Centre accepts no responsibility for the accuracy and reliability of outside material. Any opinions and views expressed are those of the outside writers, and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of the Legal Resource Centre.
What’s in Office in a Box?
- resources, forms, and contacts to help you complete required forms accurately for the CRA
- information for small and rural organizations to assist in maintaining key books and records relating to charitable status
- information on and samples of what your organization must retain in order to operate in a compliant manner
- a place for key legal documents including certificate of incorporation, bylaws, and policies
- other important documents and information that should be centrally located for quick and easy access
- a collection of savable templates
- Church Office in a Box (COiB) was created in 2011 by, and for the use of, the Mennonite Church Eastern Canada (MCEC). It was adapted from the original Office in a Box (OIB) created by Charity Central Essentials and the Legal Resource Centre of Alberta Ltd. (LRC) in 2010.
- COiB assists the congregations of Mennonite Church Eastern Canada (Ontario, Quebec and New Brunswick) in improving voluntary compliance with the Canada Revenue Agency’s requirements for registered charities. Specifically, these churches are aided in more accurately and easily complying with the Income Tax Act’s requirements to maintain adequate books and records.
- COiB could also be of assistance to churches of other denominations and faiths.
- COiB is funded through a grant from the Mennonite Foundation of Canada.